Sunday, December 25, 2005

Joseph, the father of Jesus

Such faith Joseph had in today's reading! I know the focus of today is on Jesus and His coming into the world, but all day yesterday, while I was wrapping and wrapping and getting ready for today, I was quietly reflecting on Joseph and his role in the Holy Family.

In today's reading, the following part leapt out at me at Mass yesterday afternoon:

Joseph her husband, since he was a righteous man,
yet unwilling to expose her to shame,
decided to divorce her quietly.
Such was his intention when, behold,
the angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said,

Joseph, son of David,
do not be afraid to take Mary your wife into your home.
For it is through the Holy Spirit
that this child has been conceived in her.


Joseph, being a righteous man, was, by divorcing Mary quietly, allowing his betrothed to escape the shame of being pregnant. What a situation Mary and Joseph must have felt themselves in!

When the angel cam to tell Joseph not to be afraid, was he saying, do not be alarmed or anxious? Was he saying do not be afraid for Mary?

As a father, I remember how anxious, alarmed, and afraid I was when I was at Humana Hospital ten years ago after Kathy had just had Nicholas.

Once again I come back to the faith someone has in God. Previous posts have focused on Mary, Elizabeth and Hannah. How faithful, and faith-filled Joseph was.

As I enter 2006, it is my prayer that I can become as faith-filled as those we have encountered in the Word within the last few days.

Merry Christmas readers!

No comments: