Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Reflections on the Feast of the Holy Innocents

Today is the Feast of the Holy Innocents. I remember talking with my mom when I was in high school, when I was going through that Protestant, evangelical phase, about where unborn, aborted or unbaptized babies go when they die. It was one of the only times I can remember my mom crying at my insistance that if those babies weren't "saved" then they'd go to hell. I was adamant and right! After all I was a teenager with teenager wisdom and I knew more than anyone!

It is sad now to think of how arrogant and self-righteous I was during that time.

Of course, now, I realize that I know very little - and I only know what the Lord wants me know when He wants it.

Since then, I have always kept Limbo close to my heart - even incorporating it into the phase system I have implemented for my students at my school.

Here's the essence of an article I found a couple of weeks ago from Catholic News Service when I was toying with the idea of creating this blog. It seems appropriate today to share it with you. Click here to read it all.:


The fact that God loves his creatures so much that he sent his Son to die in order to save them means that there exists an "original grace" just as there exists "original sin," Father Kelly said.

The existence of original grace "does not justify resignation," or thinking that everyone will be saved automatically, he said, "but it does justify hope beyond hope" that those who die without having had the opportunity to be baptized will be saved.

No comments: