Saturday, December 31, 2005

Will You Testify?

Today's readings, especially the Gospel (Jn 1:1-18), brought forward a word I reflected on: testify.

Often I, in my role as a principal, am called to testify as to the attendance, behavior and grades of the students in my alternative school. The seriousness of this action is something I never take for granted or lightly. What I say oftenhas an impact on the what the judge decides. What I testify to reflects the truth, and I always try to find some positive in the student to whom I'm giving testimony.

In today's Gospel, we read that John was sent from God for testimony:

A man named John was sent from God.He came for testimony, to testify to the light, so that all might believe through him.He was not the light,but came to testify to the light.The true light, which enlightens everyone, was coming into the world.


Jesus was on trial His entire ministry. Who testified for Him? Of course there was John the Baptist. Various people in the crowds. The Samaritan woman. His disciples. His works. But above all the Scriptures testify to Jesus.

The Scriptures testify to the love, compassion and ultimate sacrifice of Jesus. We partake in that ultimate scarifice when we celebrate the Liturgy of the Eucharist. We have an opportunity to testify for Jesus EVERY DAY!

What will you do when you are called to the stand, "To tell the Truth, the whole Truth, and nothing but the Truth?" Will you testify for Jesus? I will.

"Lord Jesus, We are called to be witnesses to Your life, to Your sacrifice for us on the cross! Give us strength to give accurate testimony within our lives in our choices and actions. Help us to recognize You better at Mass and in others. We ask this through Jesus Christ Our Lord. Amen"

2 comments:

Matthew said...

A lovely post. I specifically liked your words: "We have an opportunity to testify for Jesus EVERY DAY!" I pray that I not only do that through my blog but my everday actions.

Darren said...

Thanks MB. It does come through in your blog.

DN