Monday, January 2, 2006

Make Straight the Way of the Lord

Today's readings remind us that, like John, we aren't worthy to untie the straps on the sandals of Jesus. As great and important as John was in proclaiming the coming of the the Lord Jesus, the Messiah, John remained humble and knew his place.

This reminds me of the homily given last Sunday (actually on Saturday afternoon) by Father Jim Sichko. He told us the story of a gift he received for Christmas - a plaque. The last line of the plaque read, "Lord, help me to stay out of your way."

The Lord has a plan for each of us, and it our job as proclaimers of the Word that is Jesus to make straight His way. Not to get in His way.

"Lord Jesus, help me today to know and do Your will. Keep me humble as your servant and give me the strength to proclaim the Word made flesh, Jesus Christ. Through Jesus Christ I pray. Amen."

As an additional prayer today, as I reflect on the readings, I am also reminded of the the beautiful prayer of St. Francis of Assisi:

"O Lord, make me an instrument of Thy Peace!
Where there is hatred, let me sow love.
Where there is injury, pardon.
Where there is discord, harmony.
Where there is doubt, faith.
Where there is despair, hope.
Where there is darkness, light.
Where there is sorrow, joy.

Oh Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console;
to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love;
for it is in giving that we receive;
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned;
and it is in dying that we are born to Eternal Life."


Have a great day everyone.

No comments: