Monday, June 19, 2006

From My Inbox: Drug Problem

The other day, someone at a store in our town read that a methaphetamine lab had been found in an old farmhouse in the adjoining county and asked an older gentleman a rhetorical question. "Why wasn't there a drug problem when you were young?"
The man replied: "I had a drug problem when I was young:

I was drug to church on Sunday.
I was drug to church for weddings and funerals.
I was drug to family reunions and community socials no matter what the weather.
I was drug by my ears when I was disrespectful to adults.
I was also drug to the woodshed when I disobeyed my parents, told a lie, brought home a bad report card, did not speak with respect, spoke ill of the teacher or preacher, or if I didn't put forth my best effort in everything that was asked of me.
I was drug to the kitchen sink to have my mouth washed out with soap if I uttered a profane four-letter word.
I was drug out to pull weeds in mom's garden and flower bed and cockleburs out of dad's fields.
I was drug to the homes of family, friends and neighbors to help out some poor soul, we had to mow the yard, repair the clothesline, or chop some firewood; and, if my mother had ever known that I took a single dime as a tip for this kindness, she would have drug me back to the woodshed.

These drugs are still in my veins; and they affect my behavior in everything I do, say and think. They are stronger than cocaine, crack, or heroin; and, if today's children had this kind of drug problem, America would be a better place."



Tags: From My Inbox

No comments: