Wednesday, December 21, 2005

The seeds are the people

I went to the children's Mass at 8:30 this morning. I love going to the school Mass. The energy of the children and the way Father Jim relates to the kids really starts my day off on a positive note. Bringing up the Word before the Gospel with the children singing "Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path..." gives me goosebumps and almost brings me to tears every time I hear it.

Today, Father had candy canes for the kids with the right answer instead of mini chocolate bars - in celebration of Christmas and the Advent season.

Today's reading and homily to the students was very good. Father brought a student up to the alter and had him walk around. Father noticed, in that exuberant way he does, that the boy's shoes were flashing. After a little drama of Father trying to put on the boy's shoe, he made a really good point to the kids - that though we cannot explain how the shoe lights up, it still brings us great joy. Similarly, the coming of Jesus on Christmas brings us great joy, though there are things we may not be able to explain.

Oh, and he gave the kids a Christmas present - they get to get out school early today. (they already had that, though)

No comments: